Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Wu Shu and Golf?

A good friend of mine in Beijing introduced me to a Wu Shu Martial Arts Master. You may think of this as Kung Fu in the US. Anyway, he studied at the famous Shaolin Temple since he was eleven. He has traveled the world and is a university student still studying Chinese Martial Arts. My partner’s and I (at work) want to see what kind of golf research can be done between the east and west. Today, I asked my new friend to come to the range and I started to teach him golf. We had a great time and he caught on very quick. Anyway, through the two hours of hitting balls and talking we came up with several similarities. I’m excited to research this more to see what else we can find. The biggest finding is where power is created. In Wu Shu, power is created from your legs and it moves up the body and out of the arms. The same the method is used in the golf swing to create maximum power. If a player, swings with their hips turning through impact first with their shoulders, arms, and then hands following, this creates maximum power in the golf swing. Unfortunately, most golfers don’t swing with this sequence. Sorry to bore you non-golfers. I am glad to meet another new friend through this crazy game… while learning more about Chinese culture and how martial arts plays into the mainstream.

No comments: