Tuesday, April 3, 2007

My ride to work...



Since the second week of March, things are changing twice as fast as they were around the Olympic Village area. Each day I go to work I take the lovely 466 bus (if it’s raining or just tired I may take a taxi) but I can go to work for less than nickel. If I take a taxi it is about $3. Really crazy. Anyway, I live on the west side of Olympic Village and work on the east side. I have taken this bus for more than eight months and have never seen another foreigner board. Each time as I take this bus to work, I just think how everything will change in the coming twelve months. Five hundred thousand foreigners are expected to arrive in Beijing for the Olympics. I think that in about twelve months, my dirty 466 bus will be transformed to a new, clean bus that will be hauling foreigners through the Village. As I look at progress on each side of the window, I sit in utter amazement. If such a project was tried in the US, it would take three years from now to finish. Even though it looks far from done, I believe if anyone can do it the Chinese will… and will be done right. Recently, the weather has changed and the tree planting campaign has begun. Thousands of trees are being hauled into to make instant areas of beautiful landscape. The world is changing before my eyes… it is such an interesting time to be living here

No comments: