Saturday, June 16, 2007

Foreigner Sighting

This past week, as I was about to get on the bus heading home. I noticed the first 老外. Laowai is a word used here for foreigners. The literal translation is "old foreigner" but it doesn't really have that connotation. In riding this bus for eight months, I still have not seen a foreigner on it. It rides through the Olympic park everyday. I just think to myself next year, this will all change in a BIG way. I just try to enjoy it all now before all the foreigners come. The funny thing was I looked at her and she looked at me... it was as if we were both amazed to see each other there.

I continue to be amazed at the rate of construction around the Olympic Village here. It seems like such a special time to be living in the area I live. Not many people get to see the vast changes I see on a daily basis. I just wish I could capture it all on camera better. The area is going to be absolutely amazing when complete next year.

As I was going to work this week, I snapped two shots for you. One is of the "Birds Nest". This is where they will host the Opening Ceremonies. Still a lot of work to do around it but it is a beatiful structure. Another picture is a streetscape shot around where I get off for work. I always find it interesting to see black VW Passats whizzing by as old men on horse and carriage take bricks somewhere. This shows the vast difference in ways of living that exists even in the cities here.

No comments: