Saturday, November 3, 2007

Eatins Good in China "请客文化“

When it comes to culture in China, sharing a meal is nothing like the American culture I grew up in. And, that is why I have grown to love China sooo much.

What does "qing ke" mean? Qing ke is to "invite" or "entertain" and this word is thrown around all day long at my work. Not only at my work but even among friends on every street corner or housing complex. In China, if you want to celebrate, entertain, do business, etc. you "qing ke". Even for your birthday, it is culturally correct to invite friends for your own birthday party and you "qing ke", which means you pick up the bill. From a Western perspective, this often seems crazy but in China the special guest oftentimes will "qing ke."

As growing up as an American, we had important meals with family like Thanksgiving and Christmas. And, I always enjoyed having family meals together. However, for the most part, as an American we typically see eating as just a part of the day. I feel some Chinese feel it "makes" the day. There are so many types of foods and ways of preparing it. You can go to a restaurant for a month and not eat the same dish. It's not just the food that makes the day, it is the relationship around the table being built.

Why do I like this part of culture so much? While in the US, I always enjoyed going to good restaurants with friends. I find people will share more about their lives and it is so much easier to get to know someone over a meal. Here in China, that is very evident. I have heard many good stories over my three years in China over a meal. I have learned a lot about China and the Chinese by sharing many meals with friends and clients. I can hardly repay the graciousness of the Chinese to buy my meal. I feel like I am forever in debt to many people. What that means is that it is my turn to "qing ke." In the West, we like to split up who pays. In China, one time one friend pays, the next time the other friends pays. Now, when I go back to the US, it makes me feel weird when friends want to split everything. I guess China has grown on me in the sense that it seems so crazy to figure out who owes me how much ... it makes me think we are often very aware of what is "mine" in the US.

Another reason why I love this culture is the variety of food to try. Not only can you order many kinds of food, but when people eat in China, many dishes are shared. I don't mean just a few dishes, usually an overabundance. When finished, there are plenty of leftovers. The Chinese love this. I still don't really understand if this is something to do with the fact that many didn't have much food growing up or the fact that they just want enjoy part of the great food culture. Could be a mix of both?

Restaurants in are nothing like that in the Western world. We are talking large, expansive, expensive places where you usually rent a private room if you have special guests. Seating is important and many parts of the banquet. Maybe I'll cover this in another Culture issue on my Blog. I have been in a restaurant in Tianjin I thought was a botanical center that my hosts told me sat close to 2,000 people. I am oftentimes impressed with the restaurant structures and what goes into building a restaurant in China. Lets just say they don't "skimp".

I had a day recently where I shared two meals with two different clients. One client was getting ready to go to a golf tournament and we enjoyed a nice meal of hotpot together. This is where you have meat, veggies, and many other things and throw them in a boiling pot. This time, they decided to order a delicacy... pig brain. So, I tried it, many people say it helps out your eyesight or makes your mind sharper. I am still trying to figure out what it did for me. That evening, I was asked out again by another client. That time we had some nice Cantonese food. This time they ordered some beef stomach. It wasn't my favorite but wasn't all that bad. I write this not to scare those of you not living in China. I write this as an example of what some of my days consist of. However, usually I don't get double hit with two delicacies in one day!

I hope you can understand a little more about my new world in China. Would love to hear some of your comments from those who have been to China and maybe from some friends who haven't. Happy Eating!

1 comment:

Arnold said...

It's not just the Chinese who eat stomach. Campbell's used to make tripe soup here in the U.S.A. - maybe they still do, though I haven't noticed it for years. And I just got back from Rome, where I ate "Trippa Romana," which is tripe in a delicious red sauce. I thought it might be a bit gross, but it was tasty.
Brains, on the other hand, I still haven't had the courage to eat.