Saturday, July 7, 2007

Haircut

I love my haircuts in China... 10 kuai. For those in the States, that is a whopping $1.43. You can't beat it. Complete with a wash. Not only a wash but a host of other stories. I go to the same place each time. There is a little barbershop in my neighborhood. The people there are always so talkative.

Today, while I was getting my haircut, I remembered they are from North East China. I will be traveling there next week. So, I asked them what I should do and what I should eat. I will be on the border of North Korea, so they mentioned I need to go to the border. (I am looking forward to that as I hope someday I can do some golf training in NK. For those that think it is crazy, they are building courses there now). What I thought was interesting was they said I HAVE to eat the dog meat there. They say it is so delicious and fresh. And, for some reason, when you eat dog meat in the winter it keeps you warm. As I was sitting there listening to them talking about this, it was as if they said I should have an Iowa steak or crab in Charleston (there was nothing trivial or interesting about it). So... guess I better try. Check back for an update when I get back :)

Another day as I was getting my haircut a Korean Ayi came in. (Ayi stands for Aunt). She lives in my little neighborhood and son is learning Chinese at a local university. My haircut 师傅 "master" tells me she comes in each day and dances. At first I thought he was joking. Then, all of a sudden, she turned on the TV to the wonderful Chinese programming and started up. It was a sight to be held as this 60 year old Korean danced. Not only did she dance but she had made some amazing Korean food that she continued to feed us each by hand. After my haircut, i tried speaking to her in my Chinese and her broken English... it was pretty funny.

Just a few stories of the crazy things that make me laugh everyday I live here...

1 comment:

Arnold said...

$1.43...is that the "bald guy's discount"? ;-}

I'll be looking for the dog meat update. (I won't tell Java about it, though.)